Thursday, June 28, 2018

Simon Viklund - The Mark


Artist: Simon Viklund
Song: The Mark
Album: Payday 2 Remaster (Official Soundtrack), Vol 1 (2016)
Genre: Electronic

I was thinking through what video game soundtrack sticks with me nearly as much as Hotline Miami, and I'm appalled to realize I didn't even think of Payday 2 until I got home tonight.

Payday 2 and Hotline Miami hold my top soundtrack spot for similar, yet different, reasons.

While Hotline's soundtrack is built to keep tension high the whole time and drive the action, Payday 2 has, by necessity, a different feel.

Payday 2 has down moments.  The heists you can run have both loud and quiet options, and the soundtrack songs reflect that.  In the beginning of this track you have a wonderful low, almost calm section.  There's underlying tension, but not any more than you would get from any song set under the kind of stuff you'd do in the game.  However, once the heist goes loud you get treated to the latter half of the song, which has one of my favorite drops on par with that cut out from the Doom song I posted a couple days back.

Huge props to Simon Viklund, the mastermind behind most of the songs that the Payday soundtrack was graced with.  He helped craft such a fantastic atmosphere that just can't be beat.  When it comes to shooters Payday 2 is my favorite, and most of that comes from the bombtastic music.

Honestly it was a tossup between this song and Razormind.  Both are fantastic, but when I asked Google to flip a coin I got heads, which I had assigned to The Mark obviously enough.

Check out Razormind anyway though, it's really good as well.



You can follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+, or even sponsor me on Patreon. No big, do whatever. But yeah, Twitter and Facebook are where I’m most active.

TwitterTwitter  FacebookFacebook  RedditReddit  PatreonPatreon


2 comments:

  1. Another game that I haven't played - soundtrack should work, especially the rising-falling volume.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorite shooters, hands down. I got into it back in 2014 cause all my friends were playing it, so we got to experience the last 4 years of great DLC and game updates. It's been a blast honestly

      Delete