Saturday, June 16, 2018

Dream Theater - A Nightmare To Remember


Band: Dream Theater
Song: A Nightmare To Remember
Album: Black Clouds & Silver Linings (2009)
Genre: Progressive Metal

One of the groups that came into my field of awareness around the same time as Joe Satriani was Dream Theater.  See, my dad's always been a huge fan of Prog of one sort or another, so artists like this have kinda floated around a lot.

I'm actually really surprised I haven't shared the 16 minute trip that this song is yet.  It's a rather good time with a lot of strong imagery in it.  In the past I had scripted out an overly artsy music video for it in my head actually.  The whole thing is just a very strong piece.  It goes on a little long, but that could be said of a great deal of Dream Theater's work.  It's not so much about the individual songs for them, it's more about the story that is told.  If it ends up being an entire album devoted to one point, or if it's something like the 24 minute Octavarium, so be it.  I can't always get behind some of that stuff, but this song manages to hold the position of the only song over 10 minutes that I'll willingly put on to listen to in it's entirety.

Apologies if that paragraph doesn't all flow, it's like, 3 am, and I'm losing base functionality, haha



You can follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+, or even sponsor me on Patreon. No big, do whatever. But yeah, Twitter and Facebook are where I’m most active.

TwitterTwitter  FacebookFacebook  RedditReddit  PatreonPatreon


2 comments:

  1. A lot of progressive rock was long as well - and even had good stories, sometimes. Some great passages in this track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, they have some great moments throughout. I think the passages I like best are the car wreck and the doctors office

      Delete