Monday, June 4, 2018

Album Review: Ghost - Prequelle


Artist:  Ghost
Album:  Prequelle
Release Date:  June 1, 2018
Genre:  Hard Rock
Rating:  8/10

As much as I like Kanye, I will say that this album is the much stronger release of June 1st.

Ghost has had a bit of a wild last year, what with Papa Emeritus getting exposed as his real life self, old band members suing over a selection of reasons, along with some other stuff.

What is comforting to hear though, is that none of these issues harmed the album.  It's honestly a quite nice album to showcase Ghost, the continuation of their new sound, and a hint at the more theatrical direction the band may be taking.

We have 2 instrumental tracks in here by the way, which is probably the biggest switch up from Meliora.  Both Miasma and Helvetesfönster are some highlights of the album too, with Miasma rocking a bomb freaking saxophone solo.  I honestly never expected to hear saxophone on a Ghost track, so kudos guys.

If you're looking for a song that rocks a darker tone, you wanna listen to Faith.  Faith keeps it much more in line with classic Ghost themes as well, so don't miss out on that.  There's some chugging elements, and the vocal work is just haunting enough.

Last track I'll highlight is Dance Macabre.  I actually hated this one when I first heard it as a single.  It seemed really different from Rats, and I wasn't down with that.  Since listening more though I've noticed that it's basically the perfect reinvention of the Classic Rock sound.  If somebody wants to bring back the genre sounding like Dance Macabre I'd be ok with that.

I'm gonna rate this an 8/10, because while it's a great album I know a lot of people (myself included) who were hoping for a slightly darker album.  It's still great, but the general tone is much more Rock & Roll than I had anticipated.



You can follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+, or even sponsor me on Patreon. No big, do whatever. But yeah, Twitter and Facebook are where I’m most active.

TwitterTwitter  FacebookFacebook  RedditReddit  PatreonPatreon


2 comments: