Friday, October 27, 2017

Week Of Evil Day 3: Bathory - Hades


Band:  Bathory
Song:  Hades
Album:  Bathory (1984)
Genre:  Black Metal

It's really a travesty that, with how this is mostly a Black Metal highlight event, that I haven't touched some of the founders of Black Metal, Bathory.

I'm honestly not as versed in the history of Bathory as I really wish I was, cause they were immensely influential in a style of music that I've recently been getting into a little bit.

As you'll hear in the song (if you choose to listen), these guys had a level of aggression that really wasn't nearly as common in the 80s as it is now.  In fact, with some basic research the main acts that were doing stuff before Bathory were Motörhead, Venom, Black Sabbath, and some others.  Also if memory serves, Bathory credits Motörhead with some heavy inspiration in their early sound formation.  Venom did this as well, so if you're a fan of that vein of Black Metal you need to do yourself a favor and actually check out Motörhead's work.  At least the early stuff.

But anyway, Bathory, as one of the founders essentially of the modern Black Metal sound, they deserve a wee bit of respect.

As I'm sure you can see from the attached image, Bathory started out with a lot of heavy religious imagery at play.  As time went on, they moved much more in the direction of Viking Metal, but from the get go they filled all the traditional European Metal band boxes.

I had planned on talking to some friends of mine about Bathory since they're a week bit more informed than I am on the group, but unfortunately that fell through on me.  They've got a lot of interesting music stuff going on though, so at least take the time to listen to this song, eh?



follow me on facebookFollow me on Facebook     Support me on Patreon   Support me on Patreon


No comments:

Post a Comment