Wednesday, October 11, 2017

DMX - Here We Go Again


Artist:  DMX (Dark Man X)
Song:  Here We Go Again
Album:  ...And Then There Was X (1999)
Genre:  Rap, Hip Hop
Language:  Strong

So first things first, my man X is in rehab and as of late September is doing really well with it.  Apparently he's acting like a real person again and is finally putting on weight again.  Aside from possibly getting 44 years for breaking parole and possibly tax evasion I actually have a chance of hearing X get a new album out.  Did you hear the new single he put out last year or so?  If I get an album of that it'd make my year.  It's so gritty.

Anyway though, let's talk about what I like about DMX.

When I go for rappers there's a couple things I end up liking them for.

  1. Flow.  I really love rappers who actually can string a really smooth line together.
  2. Lyrical complexity.  Unlike simply being able to string a line, this also includes having a vocabulary that means anything.  Guys that can rhyme mad words together and such.
  3. Emotion.  If there's one thing I can't stand, it's a rapper that can't make me feel their message.  I don't care what the message is, the music is stripped down so that the vocals are the main highlight, you need to convey that feeling.

Now as far as complexity goes, DMX isn't that great.  Checking out this chart that some wonderful man made, X ranks in last place on the chart in unique word count in all his music up to 2012.

Here though is what highlights what I love abou DMX though.  He drips raw emotion in his music.

Whether it's his aggression, his remorse, or just pure attitude, all of his music is saturated with raw emotion.  You really feel like you connect with an artist that straight up bares their soul, and I really feel like DMX does that.  There's a few lanes his songs fall into generally.  There's his remorseful songs, where he feels bad about his past.  Then there's the gang songs where he sings the praises of his violent lifestyle.

There's so much feeling in what he does though, and that's why he's always going to be one of my favorite rappers.  Feeling counts for a lot.



follow me on facebookFollow me on Facebook     Support me on Patreon   Support me on Patreon


No comments:

Post a Comment