Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Week Of Evil Day 1: Dimmu Borgir - Mourning Palace


Band:  Dimmu Borgir
Song:  Mourning Palace
Album:  Enthrone Darkness (1997)
Genre:  Symphonic Death Metal

Welcome to the best part of the year, the Week of Evil!  Freaking pumped at what I can bring you this time around, so let's just launch right into it, eh?

As usual, we're gonna start out a little on the lighter side, since we need to kinda ease into stuff like this, amirite?

While Dimmu may look scary and some of their album titles look a little rough, on the whole they aren't too terrible.  Their first 2 albums were decent additions to the world of Black Metal, but after that, starting with the album this track is from, they started to lean much more toward the Symphonic Metal field.  That's not a bad thing at all, I actually find a lot of their music to be rather solid symphonic work.  Not too bad really.

But the reason they made this list is, of course, cause they sing about Satan.

The place they seem to sit in though is why I can't take what they're doing seriously.  They're lyrically so overly dramatic it's hard to take it with anything more than a grain of salt.  I seem to remember a friend of mine say he stopped listening to them because one of their songs started out with "Darkness falls, and everyone dies!" as an opening line.  I couldn't find that song, but it's possible he was quoting incorrectly.

As such though, while they have the imagery and everything, I'm going to have to leave Dimmu Borgir as the gatekeeper for the week.  Hope ya like it, tomorrow will come out swinging.



follow me on facebookFollow me on Facebook     Support me on Patreon   Support me on Patreon


No comments:

Post a Comment