Friday, October 13, 2017

Album Review: NF - Perception


Artist:  NF
Album:  Perception
Release Date:  October 6th, 2017
Genre:  Rap, Hip Hop
Rating:  8.5/10

So yeah, the new NF album!  I don't follow NF nearly as close as I'd like to, so I actually had missed the release date for this album.  Thanks to creeping on my friends though, I saw one of them listening to the new album on Spotify and managed to catch up then.

So I've probably listened through the whole album like 4 times by now just kinda having it on in the background and I really don't have a complaint with it.  If I had to pick something I'd change, I would probably shuffle up his beats a little.  Because most of his beats end up sounding really similar all his albums have a very consistent sound.  Consistency isn't a bad thing by any means, but I don't love his beats in the same way I like some other people's, so I'd love a little bit of a changeup.

NF's music follows a trend that I love, depressed.  I don't mean to imply it's good to be a depressed artist (gonna be talking about that in a few days actually), but I personally enjoy melancholy music as a general rule.

The album follows some pretty traditional themes for NF.  There's a lot of anger and frustration at different things going on in his life which is a common theme in his music.  When he switches over to the more mellow songs though I'm a huge fan of what he's got going on.  The music behind them is really slick and I feel like he's managing to keep the same kind of emotion of his past albums.

Some of my personal favorite tracks are Intro III, Outcast, 10 Feet Down, Let You Down, Destiny, Remember This, and Outro.  Especially Intro III, it's narrative is really hard hitting and makes you think about what he's feeling.  Honestly that's what a lot of the album feels like.  He talks about struggling through the last year and it's told in a way that I would hope make people a little more open to the struggles of being an emotionally compromised person in a spotlight.  Maybe that's the wrong takeaway, but that's what I'm getting.

The other songs I just really love because they either go hard like Outcast and Destiny, or because they're just amazingly good like Let You Down.

I don't know why, but Let You Down is really rising up as my very favorite track of the album.  I like a lot of the other ones more initially, but the feelings behind this one just hit me.

I'm gonna go ahead and rate this 8.5/10.  Lyrically he's slick, but I would like a slight variation in some of his beats.  That's about my only thing though, and when it comes down to it that's not a big complaint at all.

Listen to it all the way through, it's only an hour of your day.  Spread that out a little and it's no time at all.



follow me on facebookFollow me on Facebook     Support me on Patreon   Support me on Patreon


No comments:

Post a Comment