Monday, May 8, 2017

My Chemical Romance - Desolation Row


Band:  My Chemical Romance (MCR)
Song:  Desolation Row
Album:  Watchman Soundtrack
Genre:  Punk Rock

I was watching Watchmen with my brother and his girlfriend the other day and I realized a couple things.

The movie is basically the good version of Suicide Squad.

  • It's "heros" that are generally really dark people vs Suicide Squad just employing villians.
  • The soundtrack in both movies is a little strong.  Both of them have a mountain of really solid songs, but Watchmen managed to keep it to a theme that matched the era they were after rather than the mess that was the Suicide Squade soundtrack.
  • Theres the "reluctant hero" person.  Nite Owl in Watchmen (cause he retired), and Deadshot in Suicide Squad (cause it was Will Smith).
  • There's another point as well, but since it's a spoiler I don't want to mention it.  Ask me in the comments if you want to know.
I dunno, maybe there's not as strong a connection as I saw, but I feel like you can realistically draw enough lines between the two to complain about them.  Also Rorschach is the best character.  Hands down he's one of my favorite people to read cause he's just so wonderfully dark and troubled.  Entirely based on him I decided to actually buy the Watchmen book.

At the end there was song in the credits though.  Since the movie is set in the mid 80s I had assumed that the song was a Sex Pistols song cause, well, it sounded like them.  But good.  Don't get me wrong, I do love Sex Pistols, but realistically they aren't a "good" band.  Musically they are a mess.

When I looked for it I saw that it was MCR.  Obviously a little pumped by that info, I decided to post it for ya.  When looking it up I realized that it was a cover of a Bob Dylan song.  It really cements to me that Bob Dylan can't perform a song to save his life, but he can write a good one.

Look at Jimi Hendrix's cover of All Along The Watchtower, it's so much better that Dylan's version.  So is this.  I mean really, the original was like, 10 minutes long.  Not cool Dylan, ain't nobody got time for that.

Catchy song though, good Punk Rock vib and a video that fits the general theme of both the movie and song to a point.




follow me on facebookFollow me on Facebook     Support me on Patreon   Support me on Patreon


No comments:

Post a Comment