Wednesday, April 18, 2018

A to Z 2k18: P is for Portal


Band:  Portal
Song:  Revault Of Volts
Album:  Ion (2018)
Genre:  Death Metal

As you may remember if you were reading when I posted Avatar, I'm a huge fan of bands with a theme.  The theme of Portal is to be incredible mysterious, with insanely complicated music.

I believe to date the identities of the members of Portal remains a mystery.  While it's known that the band has gone through some shifts in members (thanks to this nifty wiki graph), they've managed to keep the general information on the band fairly light.


I love them though, I feel like the whole thing is a borderline ironic passion project like what my band is, only they're way better than we are.

The whole mystery around them is really attractive to me though.  This album is so much better mixed than earlier stuff had been too, so you can hear what all the many layers of instruments are doing rather well.  The old stuff was hella muddy, but this stuff is really surprisingly clear.  Well, for what it is at least.

There's so much I feel like I get out of this music though, and I was super pumped to learn they were releasing a new album (this one) this year.  I've given it a couple listens and it's basically exactly what I was hoping and dreaming for.

Needs a music video on par with Curtain or Glumurphonel though, it is missing that.


You can follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+, or even sponsor me on Patreon. No big, do whatever. But yeah, Twitter and Facebook are where I’m most active.

TwitterTwitter  FacebookFacebook  RedditReddit  PatreonPatreon


6 comments:

  1. Noah,

    This is going to sound really crazy maybe even stupid but does all Death Metal sound like this? If so, then I'll probably rule out buying any of this for my listening pleasure. lol However, my son probably knows more about this genre and I wouldn't be surprised if he listened to some of the bands. I know he likes heavier rock, such a 5 Fingers Death Punch. I lost touch with what's in and out with him since he moved out five years ago. I'm more of a classic rock fan but as I said previously I like mewsic introductions. It exposes and educates me to what's out there. Have a tunetastic week and enjoy the A2Z fun!

    ~Curious as a Cathy
    A2Z iPad Art Sketch 'P' is for Prince Charming & His Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, not a crazy or stupid question at all!

      This flavor of Death Metal sounds way more noise heavy than other ones I'm familiar with. A lot of them focus on more listenable sounds like Bloodbath, Cannibal Corpse, and Lamb Of God for example.

      On the flip side, this is for sure a genre not as many people get in to, so I'd say you're probably safe to give the genre a pass, haha. You son may like it though, who knows? Always good to find new stuff

      Thanks for the visit, hope your A to Z is great too!

      Delete
  2. Yep, still not my thing, but I do love a bit of mystery. It's refreshing to find some people that don't want personal fame. They just enjoy making music.

    POV by McFly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, all good! Totally agree with the personal fame comment though, it's cool to have people make music just for the music.

      Delete
  3. A mysterious band - so used to bands who show everything to the world :).
    Can't say this is the kind of sound I enjoy, but each to their own :D
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings - Movie Monsters

    ReplyDelete