Wednesday, April 4, 2018

A to Z 2k18: D is for Death Grips


Band:  Death Grips
Song:  Takyon (Death Yon)
Album:  Exmilitary
Genre:  Experimental Hip Hop, Industrial Rap
Language:  Strong

So yeah, Death Grips.  I suppose as far as underground goes these guys are a little higher up there.  Not as unknown as say, my posts on the 12th or 19th, but for sure they're a little unknown by the general public.

Personally, my first experience with these dudes was their video for Guillotine.  The whole this is a weird, staticy looking mess that really gave me some weird vibes.  It's kinda like either Punk infused Rap, or if Nine Inch Nails was a Rap group.  After that I read an article about them, but for the life of me I can't really remember much about them.  Here's the article excerpt I remember reading though.

I'll give you an example -- that "Takyon" video. I was homeless last year, while we were working through Ex-military. I got back from Japan, and the house I was living in for four years had been sold, so I had to move out and I didn't have anywhere to go. I ended up in this industrial basement, and then upstairs in the building was an office complex. This one Sunday we were filming that video, and we decided to go upstairs to that office, where we weren't supposed to go, and then we started filming. There's that scene where Stefan is checking all the doors and one of them was unlocked, so it was improvisational that we walked into that space. Then in the video you hear this woman say, "Hello?" People were in there, and yeah, that turned into a really crazy, kind of scary scenario. Stefan was wearing all black, and the way he looked in that [gas] mask. It was really scary and real to him, which I understand. They thought we were there to -- whatever, and then it turned into this crazy thing. The woman was screaming, but in the video is all you hear is, "Hello?" We cut it.  MTV interview, 2012

Then I hadn't thought of them for years up until one of my favorite music reviewers The Needle Drop talked about them.  I saw them in the suggested bar while watching a different review and it got me dragged in all over again.

Hope y'all get some sort of something out of this at least, it's something that I'm really interested in.


You can follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+, or even sponsor me on Patreon. No big, do whatever. But yeah, Twitter and Facebook are where I’m most active.

TwitterTwitter  FacebookFacebook  RedditReddit  PatreonPatreon


6 comments:

  1. Our music tastes could not be any more different. Rap music has never been my favourite, but thanks for an interesting listen!

    Down Goes Another One by McFly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand that, these guys especially are an acquired taste. I never got into rap much myself until I ran the music in a kitchen full of people that only wanted to listen to Drake and Future, haha

      Delete
  2. Totally not my thing, but a layered and interesting sound nevertheless :) Thank you for the experience.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings - Movie Monsters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, bu you gave it a listen and I can't possibly be more thankful for that. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Just looked through A-D. I thought my eclectic taste in music was pretty broad, but the only one I recognise so far is Avatar. Hanging head in shame :) Cool theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Avatar is still good though! I only learned about them late last year myself. Thanks for swinging by!

      Delete