Monday, April 9, 2018

A to Z 2k18: H is for Heilung


Band:  Heilung
Song: Krigsgaldr
Album:  Ofnir (2015)
Genre:  Neo Folk

While I was looking for some music by a band that has absolutely no relation to these guys, I found them in the YouTube sidebar.  As you can see from the image link below, they look pretty cool, so I decided to check 'em out.  Turns out they're one of the coolest sounds I've ever heard.

Like, they play human bones (as well as other bones), have droning horns, throat singing, it's a whole package.  There's industrial sounds in here, and this crazy aggressive undertone of power for such a relatively simple song.  As this song goes it just layers bigger and bigger up till the last minute where it slowly starts to fade back out into bone taps and horn droning.

Will I listen to them daily?  Most certainly not.  But I love the music, it'll be great for background music that won't distract you cause it's not in english.  I mean, I can't speak what they're singing at least.

Super good stuff though, I hope you like them.  What was your take?


You can follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+, or even sponsor me on Patreon. No big, do whatever. But yeah, Twitter and Facebook are where I’m most active.

TwitterTwitter  FacebookFacebook  RedditReddit  PatreonPatreon


6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. The bones are a little strange, but there is something special about them. Like a mixture of Vikings and American Indian.

    The Heart Never Lies by McFly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh for sure. There's a really strong spiritual undertone to the music that I wish I understood better.

      Delete
  2. You're right, this is a most interesting sound. The building of the sound is incredible.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings - Movie Monsters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not usually a huge fan of stuff like this personally, but there's something about Heilung that just resonates with me.

      Delete
  3. Just replied to your comment on my Hellblade post - https://rolandclarke.com/2018/04/09/h-is-for-hellblade/ - and this music is amazing. I'm going to check the group out more as I suspect this is what I need as background writing music, especially with its Norse-shamanic atmosphere. I wonder if they are singing in Old Norse as well as English?

    Latest post: https://rolandclarke.com/2018/04/21/s-is-for-swtor/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure they must be, it's such a powerful experience. I'm glad you enjoy it!

      Delete