Thursday, April 27, 2017

A to Z 2K17 - W is for "Weird Al" Yankovic


Artist:  "Weird Al" Yankovic
Song:  I'll Sue Ya
Album:  Straight Outta Lynwood
Genre:  Parody

I feel like the last couple days have been a little darker in the tune department, so here's some nice fun music again.

Weird Al's been making bang up covers and parodies since the 80s, and I'll Sue Ya is no exception.  I feel like I say that for every one of his songs I post...  Anyway, this isn't a straight cover, more a song that was inspired by an artist.  He's done this many times in the past usually with great success.  This one is in the style of Rage Against The Machine, and if you watch the video you'll see a couple hints at that.  Mostly in Al's dreads and the guitarist clearly playing Tom Morello's guitar.



follow me on facebookFollow me on Facebook     Support me on Patreon   Support me on Patreon


5 comments:

  1. Weird Al has always been a favorite of mine, ever since I was in junior high and heard "Eat It" for the first time. We have every one of his albums, and this song is a definite favorite! We went to Indy to see him in concert last summer, and my only complaint was since it was outside sometimes it was hard to hear. He opened the concert by walking down beside the canal singing "Tacky" (I believe), and ended it about an hour and a half later with "Yoda" (yet another old favorite). It was only the second time we ever got to see him in concert, the first time being about a decade ago when he was at Emens Auditorium at Ball State University. I don't think I could name just one favorite if I had to, he has so many great songs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope to see him someday, the dude is a genius.

      Delete
  2. I love Weird Al. I think part of his appeal is that he doesn't just do a parody, but that he does it extremely well, complete with subtle nuances that may only be caught by a few. Anyone can write different words to a song (just ask your father) but it really takes talent to pull it off to the point where people sometimes prefer your parody to the original.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a funny but weird person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a blast, I'd advise you check out a lot of his stuff.

      Delete