Monday, November 20, 2017

Nirvana - Downer


Band:  Nirvana
Song:  Downer
Album:  Bleach (1989)
Genre:  Grunge

After reading an article about Kurt Cobain being a petty asshole, I decided I wanted to get into Nirvana again.  But like, not good Nirvana, the crappy demo tape old school Nirvana.  In the article it mentioned their album Incesticide, so that seemed a good place to start, yeah?

Turns out other than some live stuff, there's not too many songs that are unique to the album.  There's alternate versions though, and those are pretty sick.  Then there's some songs that just straight up ended up on albums like Beach.

This one perked my ears cause it rocks that nifty bass riff like, the whole way through the song.  Even the off key screeching of Kurt couldn't hurt my enjoyment of the song.

Jokes aside though it's actually a pretty dope song, and as long as you don't mind kinda noisy music the album is pretty solid too.  It's definitely their least accessible music though, even songs like Rape Me were musically enjoyable.  Bleach is just a mess of sloppy guitar and vocals, with a mess of feedback going on.  Not a bad thing to me since that's literally the sound my band goes for, but I really can see why you wouldn't want it.

All in all though I'm enjoying actually looking into some of Nirvana's lesser played (on the radio at least) songs.  It's helping me understand why they were as popular as they were.



follow me on facebookFollow me on Facebook     Support me on Patreon   Support me on Patreon


No comments:

Post a Comment