Sunday, July 9, 2017

Blue Öyster Cult - Transmaniacon MC


Band:  Blue Öyster Cult
Song:  Transmaniacon MC
Album:  Blue Öyster Cult
Genre:  Classic Rock

I figured I'd make my dad proud of my by actually picking a song by these guys that's lesser known.  It's also a really good track and if you haven't heard it you're really missing out on a solid piece of Rock.

Actually I forgot how much I enjoyed these guys, they're old stuff is great.  It honestly makes the point I'm about to say a little hypocritical, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

Old Rock is bad.

Some of it is good, don't get me wrong, there's a lot of old songs that hold up really well to the test of time.  On the whole though there's mountains of reasons to move on from this worship of Classic Rock as a whole.

The Beatles are one of my favorite bands to just bash for the reactions I get.  Realistically though they put out a ton of music that was on the whole, only ok.  They had some groundbreaking work, but those groundbreaking songs are the ones that are popular now.  There's so many of their tracks that I guarantee you haven't heard before, and you aren't missing anything either.  They're generic radio pop that aren't popular for a reason.

There are so many classic bands that people hold on this weird pedestal because they were famous 40 plus years ago.  Those same people will spit on new music that is similarly groundbreaking because "it's not as good as that album The Stones put out in '71" or some similar b.s. like that.  The number of times I've been told that Metal is trash because "it's just noise" is similarly infuriating, but that's a totally different problem.

When it comes right down to it, people would rather let nostalgia take over instead of acknowledging that what was great in their childhood doesn't need to be the best thing.

I'm not saying you aren't allowed to enjoy older music, that's totally fine.  But you also need to understand that just because something is new doesn't make it bad.

On that, I'm amazed at how well Blue Öyster Cult has aged for me.  Like, nobody actually does rock organ anymore, but outside of that, the vocal harmonies, and the very obviously old recording quality it's not too bad.  I've actually enjoyed listening to a bunch of their songs while I was writing this.



follow me on facebookFollow me on Facebook     Support me on Patreon   Support me on Patreon


No comments:

Post a Comment