Thursday, April 26, 2018

A to Z 2k18: W is for Woods Of Ypres


Band:  Woods Of Ypres
Song:  Career Suicide (Is Not Real Suicide)
Album:  Woods 5:  Grey Skies and Electric Light
Genre:  Doom Metal

I decided to trot out Woods Of Ypres a little sooner than my usual 30 day limit between reposting a band because, well, I just love them so much.  (Actually I guess it's exactly past 30 days, but I only realized that just now.)

Woods 5 is a heavy album.  The last two songs describe (as many of them do) a depressed man, but more importantly the final track talks about a car crash.  Just before the album was released, the singer died of a car crash uncannily reminiscent to the one that had been sung about.  It made a lot of people wonder if he had planned it, or if it was just a terrible accident.

I don't want to post on of those songs though.  I feel like every time I've posted Woods Of Ypres it's been their mellow or super depressing songs.  Now while I'm straight up in love with Suicide Cargoload (best lyrical description of depression I've heard yet), they have some great songs that plod and grind a lot less.

There's honestly so much to love about this song, it's whole message is go and live your dream.  Most people would say it's career suicide to quit your job and do your band full time, but these guys are reminding you not to let life pass you by without taking a chance on yourself.  It's one of the reasons I love these guys.  Also the huge morose attitude.  That's good for me too.

There's little to no screaming here, so I hope you all can find something to appreciate in this.



You can follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+, or even sponsor me on Patreon. No big, do whatever. But yeah, Twitter and Facebook are where I’m most active.

TwitterTwitter  FacebookFacebook  RedditReddit  PatreonPatreon


4 comments:

  1. Doom Metal...that's a new one on me. Although this has the power of all metal there is a bit of tune there and quite catchy! Hate the death voice though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's a shame about the vocals, but I can't agree more about the tune, it's just so great!

      Delete
  2. This is cool. Love the guitar tracks and the message of the song.

    Warzone by The Wanted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad! These guys have such a strong discography

      Delete