Saturday, April 1, 2017

A to Z 2K17: A is for Andy Mineo


Artist:  Andy Mineo
Song:  You Can't Stop Me
Album:  Never Land
Genre:  Rap, Hip Hop

And here we are, the A to Z!  I will not be visiting anybody today because I work till like, 11:30 tonight.  Imma have to make up tomorrow.

But hey, if you aren't a regular reader then thanks for the visit!  We're gonna kick off the month with something I didn't think I'd end up liking, a Christian rapper.

As a general rule I don't care for Christian music.  I play it every week, I listen to a decent amount, but I honestly believe most of it is just bad.  The more I've thought about it the more I feel like Christians as a whole are willing to take borderline reject music because that's what is deemed as ok.  This leaves us with the eternally shifting lineup of the Newsboys, tobyMAC, and other bigger names that don't really sound good anymore.  They're dated.

We have the new wave coming in though on the "extreme" ends of the spectrum.  First you had the Hardcore scene.  Christian bands took off there because they were raw and real with people and that resonated with the community really well.  Now we're getting really good representation in the Rap community as well, which is really cool I feel.  The Rock end of things may end up always being a little blah, but that's ok.

Andy Mineo is really solid as far as rappers go.  He goes fast with a solid flow and you can understand the words he's saying, which is a really good deal.  There's one line in the song where he's talking about his opposition in the music community and he, among other things, says "You will never write a verse like Kendrick." in a style that sounds very much like Kendrick.  I dunno, I liked that bit a lot.

Here's the thing though, it takes two things to do well in Rap.  You need to actually be pretty good, but you also need good beats.  Boom, Andy nailed both.

Sweet, there's day 1.  Comment, share, do something to let me know you liked (or hated) it, I'd appreciate it!



follow me on facebookFollow me on Facebook     Support me on Patreon   Support me on Patreon


6 comments:

  1. Hi found your great blog via Arlee Bird.
    I too am doing a song a day along with my poetry,
    Thought your song wonderful also a blog I shall return.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A song a day is something everyone needs
      but not everybody takes the time needed to read
      Thanks for the visit and what you did say
      I do hope you have a wonderful day

      Delete
  2. Can't say this is my favorite genre, but it was certainly interesting to watch the video. Best of luck to you in the challenge!

    ~Mary
    #AtoZChallenge #BOTB 1970's Billboard Hits - A is for...


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gotta say, I really loved the part at the end where it looked like the video broke. Really solid

      Delete
  3. Great start! Your take on Christian music in general is hilarious, considering your job(s). But I agree to a certain extent: I don't think it's all bad, but I do think that what gets radio play is some of the lamest stuff out there. No one seems satisfied and yet the stations claim they're playing "what people want." Looking forward to tomorrow's post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mean, most of the popular stuff is just trash, haha Whether I work at a church or not shouldn't really play into deciding if music is bad or not. Spoiler, it is.

    But you know... Tomorrow is that good old day off, you just wanna see what I bring out as a runner up?

    ReplyDelete